Apple confirms annual iPod event for September 9Confirming reports that an iPod-centric event would be held on Wednesday, Sept. 9, Apple has made official its annual keynote at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco.
Members of the press received their invitations for Apple's media-related event Monday via e-mail. Last week, sources confirmed to AppleInsider that the event would be held the Wednesday after Labor Day. The now-official keynote will begin at 10 a.m. Pacific Time (1 p.m. Eastern).
With a graphic stating "It's only rock and roll, but we like it," the invitation references a classic Rolling Stones lyric. It also features a take on the company's standard-style iPod silhouette graphic.
Apple is expected to use the gathering to introduce new versions of its iPod nano and iPod touch digital music players featuring cameras. An additional rumor suggests the iPod classic could also be due for point-and-shoot capabilities.
Also rumored is a possible introduction of iTunes 9, which could perhaps include social networking features. Reports have also said that the latest version of Apple's media player could support playback of Blu-ray discs.
The Sept. 9 date has also fueled rumors that The Beatles' discography could finally make its long-awaited appearance on iTunes. That Wednesday is the same day the band is re-releasing its entire catalog, as well as the game The Beatles: Rock Band.
Sources have told AppleInsider to not expect any appearance of Apple's long-rumored tablet device. That new hardware is not expected to surface in any form until the first calendar quarter of 2010.
On Topic: iTunes
- Spotify allegedly retaliating against Apple Music exclusives by 'burying' artist content [u]
- UMG moratorium on exclusives may have killed Lady Gaga deal with Apple Music
- UK carrier EE, Germany's Deutsche Telekom expected to offer six months of free Apple Music
- Apple's iTunes ranks fourth in JD Power satisfaction survey for paid streaming video
- Apple Music Festival to feature Elton John, Alicia Keys, Chance the Rapper, others