Psystar lawyer claims company not shutting down permanentlyContrary to previous reports that Mac clone maker Psystar would be closing its doors following its Thursday loss in court, lawyers for the company said the company will not be shutting down for good.
In a reversal of of a report Thursday by the Dow Jones Newswire that Psystar was to cease doing business, a lawyer for the company stated that it has no plans to permanently close its doors.
Computerworld reports that Psystar's lawyer K.A.D. Camara, of the Houston, Texas law firm Camara & Sibley LLP, stated that the stories of the company's imminent closure were based on another lawyer's misquoted responses to questions about the company's future. Attorney Eugene Action was quoted Thursday in the Dow Jones Newswire story saying Psystar "will not be in business," and the company would be "shutting things down immediately."
It was reported Thursday that Psystar would be shutting down in the wake of a devastating loss in court that resulted in a permanent injunction against the company, banning it from selling hardware running hacked versions of Apple's OS X operating system.
This ruling did not specifically ban the sale of Psystar's Rebel EFI software, an application that allows Intel-powered PCs to run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and as of Saturday night the company's website lists the software a being out of stock.
Earlier this month, Psystar and Apple reached a partial settlement in which the company agreed to pay $2.7 million in damages. Apple originally filed suit against Psystar in July of 2008 due to the Florida company's selling of unauthorized machines with the operating system installed.
On Topic: General
- This week on AppleInsider: Apple Music, Beats 1, new iPods, car plans & more
- AppleInsider podcast discusses Apple Music & the iPhone's 8th birthday, plus listener questions
- New video showcases Apple's participation in 2015 San Francisco Pride Parade
- Apple investigating ways to embed health sensors, fingerprint readers, chargers into iPhone logos
- Apple officially recognizes Jony Ive's promotion, adds VP of design bios to leadership webpage