Thursday, April 08, 2010, 10:00 am PT (01:00 pm ET)
Apple sells 450,000 iPads in 5 days, users download 3.5 million appsApple said Thursday that it has shipped over 450,000 iPads since the device went on sale this past Saturday, spurring 3.5 million app downloads for the new tablet device by its earliest adopters.
The Cupertino-based company said it's now serving over 185,000 applications through its App Store, including 3,500 designed for the iPad. In total, App Store shoppers have downloaded over 4 billion applications since the service went live.
The iBook's capability of the iPad has also seen a 'tremendous' response, with users downloading over 600,000 eBooks in the first 5 days.
In addition to the 450,000 iPads sold thus far, Apple also said it has shipped 50 million iPhones and 35 million iPod touches, for a total of 85.5 million multitouch devices running that are running the iPhone OS and are capable of accessing the App Store.
Each of those devices runs a flavor of Apple's Safari Web browser, helping the iPhone OS garner a commanding 64% share of the mobile browser market.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- Deals: limited time offers knock 3 MacBooks down to $999 or less
- Mac sales slump in Q1 as PC market faces 8th straight quarterly decline
- Intel unveils 10-gigabit Ethernet Thunderbolt Networking coming to Macs, PCs
- OWC launches Mac Pro CPU and memory upgrade service
- Apple's premium-priced Macs 'defy the laws of economics,' but iPhone does not, Needham says