Apple issues MacBook Pro, wireless base station firmware updatesApple on Thursday released a pair of firmware updates to address an unexpected shutdown issue with MacBook Pro notebooks and to provide fixes for its AirPort and Time Capsule wireless base stations.
MacBook Pro SMC Firmware Update 1.5
The MacBook Pro firmware update resolves an issue where laptops could unexpectedly shut down during heavy use. The bug is known to occur while the machine is attached to a power adapter with a near-empty battery.
The 730KB update requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or OS X 10.7.2. Users are required to connect their computer power cord and have at least 25 percent battery charge before running the update.
Airport and Time Capsule Firmware Update 7.6
Firmware update 7.6 for AirPort Base Station and Time Capsule products is for all 802.11n Airport Express, 802.11n AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule models. It addresses a performance issue on overlapping wireless networks, a problem with AirPlay audio streaming and an issue with configuring multiple entries for DNS servers.
Users are recommended to first install AirPort Utility 5.5.3 before updating to Firmware version 7.6
RAW Compatibility Update 3.9
Apple on Thursday also released a RAW compatibility update digital cameras when working with Aperture 3 and iPhoto '11. The 7.20MB update, which requires Mac OS X 10.6.8 or Mac OS X 10.7.2 or later, affects the following camera models:
- Canon PowerShot S100
- Nikon 1 J1
- Nikon 1 V1
- Nikon COOLPIX P7100
- Olympus PEN E-PL1s
- Olympus PEN E-PL3
- Olympus PEN E-PM1
- Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ150
- Sony Alpha NEX-5N
- Sony Alpha SLT-A65
- Sony Alpha SLT-A77
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Shipping times for Apple's 15" MacBook Pro with discrete GPU slip to 2-3 weeks, point to refresh
- Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro shipment estimates fluctuate, drop to 1-2 weeks ahead of WWDC
- Coupons: Save $199 off all BTO early 2015 MacBook Airs & Force Touch 13" MacBook Pros with AppleCare
- Inside Force Touch: Apple's new 'force click' action opens up new possibilities for the Mac
- Ten One Design's Inklet is first 3rd-party app to support Apple's Force Touch trackpad