iPhone 4S to launch in India, world's No. 2 marketApple continues its fastest iPhone rollout ever as the iPhone 4S is set to launch in India, the world's second largest mobile market, through two separate carriers by the end of November.
It was reported on Monday that India's Bharti Airtel, the leading telecom in the world's second largest mobile market, has confirmed it will launch the iPhone 4S on the same day as rival iPhone carrier Aircel, according to The Times of India.
The news follows a Saturday announcement posted on Aircel's Facebook page that stated the company would begin selling the device on Nov. 25, ending weeks of speculation as to when the handset would arrive in India, reports The Next Web.
The companies have yet to disclose a definitive price for Apple's newest handset, though the expected cost is between Rs 35,000 and Rs 40,000 ($693 and $792) for the cheapest unlocked 16 GB version. Previously, Aircel and Bharti Airtel both offered discounted call and data plans for the iPhone 4, and are expected to use the same reverse subsidy model for the iPhone 4S.
Bharti Airtel is India's largest mobile and fixed line carrier and is the third largest in-country mobile telecom operator in the world, while Aircel is India's fifth largest GSM provider and serves over 18 regions within the country.
Since its debut on Oct. 14, the iPhone 4S has seen a record-breaking multi-country launch, international sell-outs and continued high demand.
On Topic: iPhone
- Sources: iPhone 6 series 'touch disease' now accounting for about 11% of Apple Store repairs
- 'iPhone 7' production affected by low yields on waterproof speaker, dual camera - report
- Intel plots attack on Apple's partnership with TSMC, looks to build A-series chips by 2018
- Apple again rumored to axe iPhone home button in 2017
- Apple to integrate Japan's FeliCa tap-to-pay standard in next-gen iPhone, report says