Monday, June 19, 2006, 08:00 am PT (11:00 am ET)
50 cent in talks with Apple over low-cost computersThe hip-hop star who "put Lamborghini doors on that Es-co-lade" is now looking to Apple Computer for help in placing affordable computers in the hands of the less wealthy.
According to Forbes, rapper 50 Cent is currently in negotiations with Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs to produce a line of affordable home computers for inner-city residents.
"I'm creating a foundation that will be around for a long time, because fame can come and go or get lost in the lifestyle and the splurging," 50 Cent told the publication. "I never got into it for the music. I got into it for the business."
The negotiations between the rapper and Apple are for a "branding deal."
50 Cent ranks amongst the world's richest celebrities, raking in over $67 million in 2005 from record sales and branding deals that include a line of sneakers, a video game and his G-Unit clothing line.
"[Jobs] is setting a new standard in the music business," said 50's manager, Chris Lighty. "Let's just say we get each other."
50 Cent's untitled third album is due out by Christmas.
On Topic: General
- Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season
- New Union Square Apple Store renderings add water feature to plaza
- Next-gen USB connector a reversible challenge to Apple's Thunderbolt & Lightning
- Apple investigating ways to add depth to iPhone photos
- Topsy purchase gives Apple access to Twitter data Google doesn't have