Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 01:26 pm PT (04:26 pm ET)
Apple rolls out Mac OS X Lion, Snow Leopard updatesApple on Wednesday released a host of Mac OS X updates, including 10.7.3 Lion and Lion Server, which brings various system improvements and expanded language support along with Safari 5.1.3, a new version of Sever Admin Tools, fixes for Apple Remote Desktop and security updates for Snow Leopard.
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Client
Updates to Apple's newest operating system mainly look to fix existing problems to offer more stability, compatibility and security, but a host of new features is also offered like support for a number of new languages, Wi-Fi connectivity fixes and Windows file sharing compatibility among others.
Another main component of the update is fixes to directory services, which adds improved reliability of Dynamic DNS updates and other Active Directory tweaks.
A full list of system improvements is outlined below:
- Add Catalan, Croatian, Greek, Hebrew, Romanian, Slovak, Thai, and Ukrainian language support
- Address issues when using smart cards to log into OS X
- Address compatibility issues with Microsoft Windows file sharing
- Address an issue printing Microsoft Word documents that use markup
- Address a graphics performance issue after sleep on some earlier iMacs that use ATI graphics
- Resolve a Wi-Fi connection issue when waking from sleep
- Address an issue that may prevent Safari from opening before joining a wireless network
- Fix a potential issue authenticating to an SMB DFS share
- Include RAW image compatibility for additional digital cameras
- Improve binding to read-only Active Directory Domain Controllers
- Improve binding and login speed for Active Directory users in a domain whose name ends in ".local"
- Improve reliability of Dynamic DNS (DDNS) updates by Active Directory clients
- Allow login with an Active Directory username that contains a space
- Improve compatibility with Active Directory schemas that have been extended with the "apple-user-homeDirectory" and "apple-user-homeurl" attributes
- Fix home directory Dock item for Active Directory users with mobile accounts
- Allow NIS users with MD5-hashed passwords to log in
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 with Safari 5.1.3 can be downloaded via Software Update or through Apple's support page that offers Client, Client Combo versions that are 997.01 MB and 1.2 GB, respectively. Users must be running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 to update.
Mac OS X Lion Server and Server Admin Tools
Along with the updates to the Client version, the Mac OS X Lion Server update brings fixes and features to the server side of the operating system, including file sharing and VPN server app improvements, enhancements to the web and Wiki server applications and updates to the profile manager. Beyond the new components, various bug fixes and security upgrades were added.
The full list of server additions can be found here.
The Mac OS X Lion Server update is 1 GB, while the Server Combo version comes in at 1.34 GB, and both require Lion 10.7.
Released alongside the Lion Server update is a refresh of Apple's Server Admin Tools, which adds supplementary applications for use with the Mac OS X server. New versions of Podcast Composer, Server Admin, Server Monitor, System Image Utility, Workgroup Manager and Xgrid Admin are included in the 202.59 MB update. Mac OS X Lion or Lion Server are required.
Snow Leopard and Apple Remote Desktop
Apple's legacy Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server operating systems saw only minor security patches, though it is recommended that users install the latest software.
The Snow Leopard downloads, which can be found through Software Update or at Apple's support page, weigh in at 192.73 MB for the Client version and 212.09 MB for Snow Leopard Server, with both requiring Mac OS X 10.6.8.
Apple's Remote Desktop Client received improvements in screen sharing authentication when using Kerberos or when authenticating as a user with no password and a fix regarding the control of a remote computer with two displays when the primary display is on the right.
The Apple Remote Desktop 3.5.2 update comes in at 3.75 MB and requires Mac OS X 10.6 or later.
On Topic: Mac OS X
- Apple seeds OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks beta to developers
- FileMaker 13 launches with browser-based support via HTML5, new tools for iPhone & iPad
- Microsoft's project 'Threshold' to further converge PC, phone & Xbox platforms
- Black Friday software and the lowest prices ever on Dragon Dictate 3 and Micro Drone 2.0
- Product (RED) Mac Pro auction brings in $977,000; gold EarPods sold for $461,000