83-year-old woman sues Apple after walking into glass retail store doorAn octogenarian has filed a legal complaint against Apple after she broke her nose on the doors of the Manhasset Apple Store in Long Island.
Evelyn Paswall is suing Apple for $1 million for negligence because she crashed into a glass door at one of the company's retail locations, reports CBS New York (via The Next Web).
The plaintiff said she had no idea a glass wall was in her way as she walked up to the store, and the resulting collision broke her nose. Derek T. Smith, Paswall's attorney, said his client, who is 83 years old, "sees well, but she did not see any glass."
Apple wants to be cool and modern and have the type of architecture that would appeal to the tech crowd, but on the other hand, they have to appreciate the danger that this high-tech modern architecture poses to some people, Smith said, told The New York Post.
The lawsuit alleges that Apple was negligent because it did not provide "proper warning" for its glass walls and doors. According to the report, the company has since posted warning strips on the glass of its Manhasset Store. Apple placed warning stickers on some of the glass display windows at its retail stores after similar incidents occurred.
The glass fronts at the company's brick-and-mortar stores have also provided criminals with opportunities to perform "smash and grab" burglaries at some locations. More than a dozen stores have been broken into in recent years.
On Topic: General
- Snapchat announces Spectacles video-recording sunglasses, available this fall for $130
- The Verge founding member Chris Ziegler worked at Apple for two months before leaving website
- Twitter takeover being considered by Google, Salesforce, other tech firms - report
- Yahoo confirms at least 500M accounts impacted by 2014 security breach
- Apple buys out machine learning firm Tuplejump [u]