83-year-old woman sues Apple after walking into glass retail store doorAn octogenarian has filed a legal complaint against Apple after she broke her nose on the doors of the Manhasset Apple Store in Long Island.
Evelyn Paswall is suing Apple for $1 million for negligence because she crashed into a glass door at one of the company's retail locations, reports CBS New York (via The Next Web).
The plaintiff said she had no idea a glass wall was in her way as she walked up to the store, and the resulting collision broke her nose. Derek T. Smith, Paswall's attorney, said his client, who is 83 years old, "sees well, but she did not see any glass."
Apple wants to be cool and modern and have the type of architecture that would appeal to the tech crowd, but on the other hand, they have to appreciate the danger that this high-tech modern architecture poses to some people, Smith said, told The New York Post.
The lawsuit alleges that Apple was negligent because it did not provide "proper warning" for its glass walls and doors. According to the report, the company has since posted warning strips on the glass of its Manhasset Store. Apple placed warning stickers on some of the glass display windows at its retail stores after similar incidents occurred.
The glass fronts at the company's brick-and-mortar stores have also provided criminals with opportunities to perform "smash and grab" burglaries at some locations. More than a dozen stores have been broken into in recent years.
On Topic: General
- First look: Fitbit Charge HR fitness band with real-time heart rate sensor
- Google announces 40 new third-party integrations for Siri competitor Google Now
- Apple's new Chongqing store shown off in photos ahead of Saturday opening
- AppleInsider's official podcast kicks off with analysis of the week's top Apple stories
- Apple, Google & Amazon settle with Italian government over 'misleading' free apps with in-app purchases