Friday, March 30, 2012, 01:53 pm PT (04:53 pm ET)
Apple's 'brand power' tops Japanese consumer surveyApple was named as Japan's top consumer brand on Friday, the first time the company has received the title.
In the Brand Japan 2012 survey conducted by Nikkei BP Consulting Inc., Apple's key products like the iPad helped the company beat out 999 other brands to take top honors.
The iPhone maker moved up ten spots from its 11th place finish in 2011 and scored 90.5 points for "total brand power," a number derived from the results of some 52,000 people aged 18 and older. International heavyweights Google, YouTube, and a number of Japanese market brands were also in the running.
Apple's products also performed well in the survey, with the iPad and two other unnamed devices placing as top-40 brands.
It can be deduced that the iPhone was one a top-rated device as the handset recently took over as the best-selling smartphone in Japan. Led by the iPhone 4S, Apple took a 26.6 percent share of the market during the winter quarter. Siri was also launched earlier in March, though the voice assistant has faced trouble with certain Japanese phrases.
Apple Store in Nagoya Sakae. | Source: Apple
Apple took second place out of 500 brands in the business category, which evaluated responses from the corporate, and was bested by international giant Toyota Motor Corp.
On Topic: General
- Samsung asks New Yorkers to compare Apple's iPad Air to Galaxy Tab S in new ad
- Apple's mysterious 2-story structure at site of Sept. 9 event drives frenzy even further
- Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'
- Apple wins patent for Steve Jobs-designed Fifth Ave glass cube
- LG and Samsung announce new smartwatches ahead of Apple's anticipated 'iWatch' reveal [u]