Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update for Leopard usersApple on Thursday released Mac OS X 10.5.1 Update, its first maintenance and security update to the new Leopard operating system which is recommended for all users.
Mac OS X 10.5.1 is available as a 110MB download and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac, Apple says.
The following improvements for both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs are included in this update:
- Allows password-protected accounts on AirPort Disks to show up on in the Finder's Shared Sidebar.
- Resolves an issue with saved passwords for wireless networks.
Back to My Mac
- Improves the reliability of Back to My Mac-enabled Macs appearing in the Finder's Shared Sidebar.
- Improves compatibility with D-Link NAT gateways.
- Restores the functionality of the progress bar during permission repairs in Disk Utility.
- Addresses an issue that could produce an alert when creating disk images using Disk Utility or Terminal.
- Improves disk partitioning when multiple RAID sets are created on the same disk.
- iCal alarms are now more reliably delivered via email.
- Resolves an issue when inviting attendees via a CalDAV account.
- Improves stability when resizing columns in the message viewer or switching between Stationery templates in email messages.
- Addresses an issue in which attachments enclosed inside an HTML link may not be clickable in email messages.
- Fixes an issue with email accounts added using the "Simple Setup" feature in which messages cannot be sent due to an SMTP connection failure.
- Improves Smart Mailboxes compatibility with .Mac Sync, and addresses an issue with To Do's disappearing when using Smart Mailboxes.
- Resolves an issue with syncing Mail accounts with .Mac in which multiple On My Mac folders appear in the Mailbox pane.
- Addresses an issue in which Microsoft Windows shared folders may be read-only when connected via SMB.
- Resolves an issue in which user-selected values on Paper Feed PDE are reset to default while saving a custom preset.
- Addresses a code signing issue; third-party applications can now run when included in the Application Firewall or when whitelisted in Parental Controls.
- In Security preferences' Firewall tab, the "Block All" option is now called "Allow Only essential services".
- Includes recent Apple security updates..
System and Finder
- Addresses a potential data loss issue when moving files across partitions in the Finder.
- Resolves an issue with login after turning off FileVault for a specific user account.
- Improves compatibility with Adobe Flash-based uploaders used by .Mac Web Gallery and certain other websites and applications.
- Resolves a potential text drawing issue with certain Adobe Flash-based websites and applications.
- Addresses formatting issues with certain drives used with Time Machine (specifically, single-partition MBR drives greater than 512 GB in size as well as NTFS drives of any size and partition scheme).
- Resolves an issue in which files restored in Time Machine may be restored to the backup hierarchy rather than the folders to which they belong.
Mac OS X 10.5.1 Server
Apple also released Mac OS X Server 10.5.1 Update [110MB] which delivers several improvements, including:
- Addresses an issue which could block adding external users to a newly-created group.
- Addresses an issue in which 10.5.x-based software images could lead to an unresponsive NetBoot client.
- Addresses an issue blocking control of client application access when usernames contain non-ASCII characters.
- Addresses intermittent Password Server errors.
SMB File Service
- Addresses an issue in which Microsoft Windows clients may misinterpret shared folders' ACL settings.
On Topic: General
- Second Apple v. Samsung damages retrial set for March or April 2016
- Apple sought original content deals with Bill Simmons and Top Gear cast, reports say
- Documents reveal Apple's secretive next-generation retail store design
- DJI's new iOS-compatible Phantom 3 drones land at Apple Store
- Nest introduces third-gen Thermostat with better display, Farsight wakeup