Wednesday, February 06, 2008, 01:00 pm PT (04:00 pm ET)
Apple releases QuickTime 7.4.1 for Leopard, Tiger and PantherApple on Wednesday released QuickTime 7.4.1, a recommended security update for all users of QuickTime 7.0 running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, Mac OS X 10.4.9 Tiger, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther, Windows XP SP2, and Windows Vista.
The software update patches a vulnerability where visiting a malicious website could lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution.
"A heap buffer overflow exists in QuickTime's handling of HTTP responses when RTSP tunneling is enabled," Apple said. "By enticing a user to visit a maliciously crafted webpage, an attacker may cause an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution."
QuickTime 7.4.1 addresses the issue through improved bounds checking.
The update is available as 55.5MB download for Leopard, a 51.7MB download for Tiger, a 50.4MB download for Panther, and a 22.3MB download for Windows Vista or XP SP2.
On Topic: Software
- New Adobe Lightroom and Camera Raw release candidates fix bugs, add camera support
- Review: 1Password 4 for Mac makes managing all your passwords easy and secure
- Adobe refreshes Photoshop, Premiere Elements with two new versions
- Apple Configurator updated for iOS 7 with new features
- Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac launches with cloud storage support, Windows 8 Start button, 40% faster read times