Monday, October 18, 2004, 09:00 am PT (12:00 pm ET)
Apple music event set for Oct. 26Apple and alternative rock band, U2, will team up to introduce new music related Apple products and services next week.
Apple Computer will hold a music-centric event on Oct. 26 at the California Theatre in San Jose, Calif., according to invitations distributed to select members of the media on Monday.
"Steve Jobs, Bono and The Edge invite you to attend a special event," the invitation reads. Bono and The Edge are members of the popular rock band U2. The event is scheduled to take place at 10AM Pacific Time.
Last week Apple unveiled a new promotion with U2 to celebrate the release of its new single. The track—titled Vertigo—was made available for purchase and download exclusively from the company's iTunes Music Store.
Apple chief financial officer, Peter Oppenheimer, later hinted at additional collations between the two parties during a financial conference call. "You will hear more about Apple and U2 working together in the coming weeks," he said.
Apple will likely use the upcoming event to introduce the next wave of expansion for its popular iTunes online music store, which will feature a multi-country European launch. The launch is expected to include music stores in more than five new countries with recent reports indicating the Netherlands, Poland, Denmark, and Switzerland as likely candidates.
The event, which will likely feature a live performance by U2, may also play host to the introduction of a 60GB color screen iPod with photo viewing and TV connection capabilities and iPhoto software for Windows.
On Topic: General
- Steve Ballmer leaves Microsoft board to concentrate on other responsibilities
- Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac launches with OS X 10.10 Yosemite support, speed boosts, more
- Apple exec Eddy Cue puts Los Altos, Calif., home on the market for nearly $4M
- Questionable leaks raise hopes that Apple will release new Lightning cable with reversible USB connector
- Dr. Dre accepts ALS ice bucket challenge, nominates fellow rappers