Apple testing new Software Update functionsApple Computer on Friday began testing changes it has made to its popular Software Update mechanism, which is built into versions of the Mac OS X operating system.
The changes were reportedly incorporated into a new seed of Mac OS X 10.3.4 labeled Mac OS X 10.3.4 build 7H51a.
One of the major tests includes Software Update's ability to download and update itself.
"Mac OS X 10.3.4 build 7H51a includes changes to the Software Update application," the company reportedly told testers in a set of seed notes. "To help test these changes, we are delivering this build through Software Update."
According to sources, Apple has not seeded the Mac OS X 10.3.4 build 7H51a via its iMercury ftp distribution system. The only way to obtain the build is by running Software Update from a prior seed of Mac OS X 10.3.4.
Apple last seeded Mac OS X 10.3.4 build 7H50 on Wednesday, May 5th.
On Topic: General
- Apple to move away from security contractors, hire guards as full-time employees
- Billions in Google revenue could ride on Apple renewing iOS search deal
- Pebble unveils steel version of color Time watch, announces 'smartstrap' accessory support
- Apple, Google no-poach settlement reportedly on road to approval
- Upcoming Steve Jobs biography dives deep into Apple cofounder's life, features interviews with Tim Cook, Jony Ive, more