Monday, May 10, 2004, 12:00 pm PT (03:00 pm ET)
Apple testing new Software Update functionsApple Computer on Friday began testing changes it has made to its popular Software Update mechanism, which is built into versions of the Mac OS X operating system.
The changes were reportedly incorporated into a new seed of Mac OS X 10.3.4 labeled Mac OS X 10.3.4 build 7H51a.
One of the major tests includes Software Update's ability to download and update itself.
"Mac OS X 10.3.4 build 7H51a includes changes to the Software Update application," the company reportedly told testers in a set of seed notes. "To help test these changes, we are delivering this build through Software Update."
According to sources, Apple has not seeded the Mac OS X 10.3.4 build 7H51a via its iMercury ftp distribution system. The only way to obtain the build is by running Software Update from a prior seed of Mac OS X 10.3.4.
Apple last seeded Mac OS X 10.3.4 build 7H50 on Wednesday, May 5th.
On Topic: General
- Editorial: A friendlier Apple Inc now invites media through its Infinite Loop front door
- Apple launches iCloud Photos beta Web client ahead of iOS 8.1 rollout
- Full video of Jony Ive's Vanity Fair interview posted online
- Exclusive video: Apple's new "spaceship" Campus 2 is figuratively taking off
- American Express prepares customers for Apple Pay launch, details setup procedure