Thursday, June 10, 2004, 07:00 am PT (10:00 am ET)
QuickTime 6 downloads top 250 millionApple today announced that more than 250 million copies of QuickTime 6 have been downloaded in less than two years since its release. QuickTime is Apple's industry-leading, standards-based software for developing, producing and delivering high-quality audio and video over IP, wireless and broadband networks.
QuickTime 6 is by far the most popular version of QuickTime ever distributed, with over 250 million copies downloaded and counting, said Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. With QuickTime 6, Apple continues to be the industry leader in providing an end-to-end standards-based digital media delivery system.
As the platform of choice for content creators worldwide, QuickTime delivers the full media experience for thousands of unique software titles and enhanced music CDs and over 225 digital camera models from over 50 camera manufacturers. QuickTime was chosen by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) as the base file format for MPEG-4 and is at the core of the 3GPP and 3GPP2 standards.
QuickTime 6.5 includes enhanced support for 3GPP and 3GPP2 mobile networks and is available as a free download for Mac and Windows users at www.apple.com/quicktime.
On Topic: General
- Rumor: Google pressured Asus to cancel Android/Windows dual-boot devices
- Apple's Tim Cook meets Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu at Apple HQ
- Apple gobbling up retail market share as Radio Shack, Best Buy shrink
- Construction of Apple's new San Francisco flagship store gets final go ahead
- Apple exploring device pairing with Touch ID, camera privacy using diffusers