Liquid cooled Power Macs running Mac OS X 10.3.5Preproduction models of Apple;s recently announced 2.5GHz liquid cooled Power Mac G5 computers are running a new version of the Mac OS X operating system, according to a couple of independent sources.
The company's lower-end 1.8 and 2.0 GHz Power Mac G5 continue to be supported by existing versions of Mac OS X, while the 2.5 GHz model currently requires a Mac OS build train from the unreleased Mac OS X 10.3.5 operating system.
Last week sources said that Apple had begun delivering beta versions of the Mac OS X 10.3.5 update to a limited number of developers in the form of a 39MB Mac OS X image. Meanwhile, Apples highly populated Apple Developer Connection has yet to receive word of the update.
One source who attended last weeks World Wide Developer Conference confirmed that the 2.5 GHz Power Macs featured in Apples ADC Labs were indeed running pre-release versions of Mac OS X 10.3.5.
Mac OS X 10.3.5 is reportedly slated for an official release by this Fall, although current builds of the system are said to contain noticeable key-command and artifacting glitches.
Apple is expected to begin shipping its 2.5 GHz liquid cooled Power Mac G5 sometime this month, which may include a build of Mac OS X 10.3.5 prior to its public release, sources said.
Mac OS X 10.3.5 is widely rumored to be the most significant update to Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, since its release last year.
If you heard anything of interest while attending Apples developer conference, please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or utilize our anonymous mail service.
On Topic: General
- Apple patents laser mapping system, hybrid mechanical-capacitive keyboard, invisible I/O connectors
- Apple, Silicon Valley raised millions to fund Hillary Clinton platform backing tech's positions on encryption, privacy, innovation, patents, education
- Disney said to be weighing Twitter purchase to bolster online video efforts
- Sonos brings PLAY:1 & PLAY:5 speakers to Apple's online & retail stores
- Photos show Apple's newly relocated & revamped Brea Mall store [u]