Apple posts $61 million profit on revenue of $2 billionApple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2004 third quarter ended June 26, 2004. For the quarter, the Company posted a net profit of $61 million, or $.16 per diluted share. These results compare to a net profit of $19 million, or $.05 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Revenue for the quarter was $2.014 billion, up 30 percent from the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 27.8 percent, up from 27.7 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 39 percent of the quarter's revenue.
The quarter's results include an after-tax restructuring charge of $6 million. Excluding this charge, the Company's net profit for the quarter would have been $67 million, or $.17 per diluted share.
Apple shipped 876 thousand Macintosh units and 860 thousand iPods during the quarter, representing a 14 percent increase in CPU units and a 183 percent increase in iPods over the year-ago quarter.
"It was an outstanding quarter-our highest third quarter revenue in eight years," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Our Mac-based revenue grew a healthy 19 percent, and our music-based revenue grew an incredible 162 percent. We've got a strong product portfolio, with some amazing new additions coming later this year."
"We were very pleased with our 30 percent year-over-year revenue growth and our operating margin expansion," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple's CFO. "Looking ahead to the fourth quarter of fiscal 2004, we expect revenue of about $2.1 billion and earnings per diluted share of $.16 to $.17, including $.01 per diluted share in restructuring charges."
Apple will hold its quarterly conference call for investors at 5:00 PM EST this afternoon. AppleInsider should have full coverage of the call this evening.
On Topic: General
- This week on AppleInsider: Sept. 9 event confirmed, Tim Cook on China, Apple TV rumors & more
- Judge bars Apple, Samsung from further filings after rapid-fire case entries
- Johns Hopkins taps Apple Watch, ResearchKit for upcoming epilepsy study with eye on seizure prediction
- Apple, 161 other organizations lend aid to Pentagon on flexible electronics
- AppleInsider podcast analyzes what to expect at Apple's Sept. 9 event, Wall Street, 'Apple Car,' more