Wednesday, September 01, 2004, 07:50 am PT (10:50 am ET)
Apple launches iTunes affiliate program, 125 million servedApple today launched the iTunes Affiliate Program, making it the first download music store to offer direct links to a la carte singles and albums that generate paid commissions to affiliate websites. The iTunes Affiliate Program will complement other iTunes programs including iTunes on Campus, which offers free site licenses to colleges and universities, and the iTunes Volume Discount Program, which provides bulk song downloads at a discount. Apple also announced that the iTunes music service has sold over 125 million songs to date, which includes a total of 5 million songs sold from its European music store.
The company also said that affiliates that sign up for the iTunes Affiliate Program between now and September 15th will be automatically entered to win an iPod mini. The new program is the latest initiative from Apple to help businesses and organizations use the popularity of digital music for marketing and awareness related purposes.
On Topic: General
- Apple quietly improves loyalty pricing for businesses, educational institutions
- Samsung appeals final judgment in first Apple v. Samsung California trial, drops asserted SEPs from second
- Rumor: Google pressured Asus to cancel Android/Windows dual-boot devices
- Apple's Tim Cook meets Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu at Apple HQ
- Apple gobbling up retail market share as Radio Shack, Best Buy shrink