Apple discontinues dock for 3G iPodsAs the success of Apple\'s new 4th generation iPod continues to mount, the company said it will no longer offer its docking station for the previous generation of the digital music player.
Apple Computer this week quietly informed its marketing affiliates that it has halted the production and sale of its docking station for the 3rd generation iPods, AppleInsider has learned.
A note distributed by the company\'s market division announced that the dock should be considered EOL (end-of-life), effective immediately. The product is referenced by Apple manufacturer number M9130G/A.
Apple also said that it will no longer accept orders for the dock and will cancel all orders currently on backlog. Additionally, the company said there will be no order conversion on pending sales and shipments of the dock.
Last month, the United States Patent and Trademark Office awarded Apple with a patent for the 3rd generation iPod dock, which the computer maker filed for in April of 2003.
On Topic: General
- Ex-Siri team to unveil 'Viv' virtual assistant next week in quest for ubiquitous AI
- Apple, others urge presidential candidates to support Trans-Pacific Partnership, address government snooping
- YouTube said to be planning 'Unplugged' live TV as soon as 2017
- Hulu confirms plans to launch live TV streaming in 2017
- Apple's iPhone is most influential gadget ever, says TIME