Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 09:00 am PT (12:00 pm ET)
Apple ends optical drive enhancement program for iBooksApple Computer is ending a limited time offer that gave customers who own iBooks with a combo optical drive the opportunity to enhance their optical drive performance by swapping out their existing failed optical drive for a faster performing optical drive, reliable sources tell AppleInsider.
"Only like-for-like combo optical drives will now be accepted by Apple for exchanges," the company said in a message to relevant parties in the US, Canada, Europe, Latin America and Asia-Pacific.
Apple began the optical drive enhancement program in January, after discovering that a batch of faulty optical drives had found their way into a mix of iBook configurations. The discontinuation of the program is effective immediately, the company said.
On Topic: General
- Apple's 'smart dock' would give Siri a permanent place in the home
- Apple usurps Dell as most wanted desktop brand for holiday season
- New Union Square Apple Store renderings add water feature to plaza
- Next-gen USB connector a reversible challenge to Apple's Thunderbolt & Lightning
- Apple investigating ways to add depth to iPhone photos