Apple seeds Safari 1.3 Developer Preview 5 for PantherWork on Apple\'s Safari Web browser continues for Mac OS X 10.3 Panther.
Although Apple Computer is rapidly developing Safari 2.0 for inclusion in its next-generation Tiger operating system, the company is continuing with efforts to stabilize and improve a version of the Web browser for its current Panther operating system.
According to sources, Apple this week released Safari 1.3 Developer Preview 5 to its Apple Developer Connection (ADC) members. The first developer preview of the browser—Safari 1.3 build 148—was offered to ADC members in June, though successive seeds were made available only to employees and AppleSeed members.
Unlike the current version of Safari, which is based on Panther\'s underlying WebKit foundation, Safari 1.3 contains the same Web Kit functionality and site compatibility support delivered in Safari 2.0 for Mac OS X Tiger, sans the added user features.
However, sources say the \"Web Archive\" feature that appeared in the first developer preview of the browser has since been removed from the most recent release.
Both Safari 1.3 and Safari 2.0 are at build 168 in their respective development cycles.
On Topic: General
- Apple invents active shutter system to protect iPhones from liquid, contaminants
- AppleInsider podcast talks Apple Pencil, official Apple Watch dock and safe payments practices
- Apple airs 2015 Christmas TV ad starring Stevie Wonder & Andra Daye
- Apple confirms acquisition of motion capture firm Faceshift
- DisneyLife online streaming service launches in UK with iOS & Apple TV support