Apple upgrades Xserve G5 to dual 2.3GHzAs predicted, Apple today upgraded its Xserve 1U rack optimized server to deliver dual 64-bit 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 processors with over 35 gigaflops of processing power per system and the fastest front side 1U server system bus, running at up to 1.15 GHz, providing up to 9.2 GBps of bandwidth per processor and up to three 400GB drives, achieving a groundbreaking 1.2TB of hot-plug storage.
\"We improved the best 1U server in the industry with more power and more storage for the same breakthrough price,\" said Philip Schiller, Apples senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. \"With 64-bit processing power coupled with Apples legendary ease of use, Xserve G5 delivers unbeatable price performance and manageability. Xserve G5 ships with an unlimited client access license of Mac OS X Server that allows users to connect an unlimited number of Mac, Windows or Linux clients to the server without additional software licensing fees.\"
Now equipped with dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 processors and up to 8GB of 400 MHz DDR memory, the new Xserve packs even more computational power, modern I/O and storage performance along with best-in-class management tools in an optimized 1U rack-optimized enclosure. Xserve G5 supports up to three 7200 rpm 400GB Serial ATA Apple Drive modules, offering 1.2TB of internal storage that can deliver 800GB of internal RAID 5 protected storage when combined with Apples PCI Hardware RAID card. Two full-length 64-bit, 133 MHz PCI-X slots provide up to 1 GBps throughput and allow easy expansion to high performance storage and networking cards, such as SCSI, Fibre Channel and third party solutions such as InfiniBand.
Xserve G5 ships with an unlimited client edition of Mac OS X Server version 10.3 \"Panther\" software pre-installed. Panther Server integrates open source and open standards software with easy-to-use management tools that make it easy to deploy popular open source solutions for Mac, Windows and Linux clients.
Apple offers a choice of services and support programs for Xserve including AppleCare Premium Service that offers four hour on-site response and 24x7 technical support. For self-servicing customers, Apple offers complete Service Parts Kits, which address over ninety percent of potential field problems.
Pricing & Availability
Xserve G5 is available immediately through the Apple Store and Apple Authorized Resellers. Xserve G5 comes in three standard configurations or can be fully customized to meet specific requirements. The three standard Xserve G5 configurations include:
- a single 2.0 GHz PowerPC G5 processor with 1GB of PC3200 ECC RAM, a single 80GB Apple Drive Module with expandability for up to 1.2TB, dual Gigabit Ethernet on-board, a Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive, FireWire 800 and USB 2.0, and an unlimited client license of Mac OS X Server for a suggested retail price of $2,999 (US);
- dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 processors with 1GB of PC3200 ECC RAM, a single 80GB Apple Drive Module with expandability for up to 1.2TB, dual Gigabit Ethernet on-board, a Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) drive, FireWire 800 and USB 2.0, and an unlimited client license of Mac OS X Server for a suggested retail price of $3,999 (US); and
- cluster-optimized dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5 processors with 512MB of PC3200 ECC RAM, a single 80GB Apple Drive Module, dual Gigabit Ethernet on-board, FireWire 800 and USB 2.0, and a 10-client license of Mac OS X Server for a suggested retail price that starts at $2,999 (US) per cluster node.
On Topic: General
- US Treasury takes last stab at deterring tax judgment against Apple & Ireland
- French & German interior ministers call on EU to enable access to encrypted data
- Tim Cook's crucial role at Apple extends well beyond his 5 years as CEO
- Tim Cook's fundraiser for presidential candidate Hillary Clinton set for tonight
- Pinterest absorbs offline reading service Instapaper