Thursday, April 28, 2005, 12:00 pm PT (03:00 pm ET)
Mac OS X 10.4.1 on track for May releaseApple has yet to officially unleash Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger," but already insiders are abuzz about the first update to the next-generation operating system, code-named "Atlanta."
Scheduled for release sometime next month, the Mac OS X 10.4.1 Update will reportedly tie several loose ends vacated when the Mac maker, on deadline, declared build 8A428 of Mac OS X 10.4 gold master on March 31st.
Almost immediately thereafter, the Mac OS X Update team at Apple began work on Atlanta, which will also include optimizations and deliver support for DVD Studio Pro 4, part of Apple's new $1299 Final Cut Studio video production suite.
Based on recent mumblings, it appears that Apple hopes to ship Final Cut Studio in mid-May, around the 17th. Due to the production suite's dependence on the Tiger update, it's assumed that Mac OS X 10.4.1 will be released around the same time.
Sources close to Apple believe the company will begin distributing pre-release copies of Mac OS X 10.4.1 Update to developers within the next week.
Meanwhile, at 6:00 p.m. this Friday, all 105 Apple retail stores and participating Apple Authorized Resellers will host Tiger World Premiere events to officially usher in Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger." The events are scheduled to run till midnight.
On Topic: General
- Apple CEO Tim Cook visits Foxconn iPhone factory on China 'road trip'
- Apple to drop SSL 3.0 support for push notifications on Oct. 29 due to POODLE vulnerability
- Rare working Apple I goes for record-smashing $905,000 at auction
- Apple avoids $94M patent infringement suit leveled by patent troll GPNE
- Leak suggests new Fitbit Surge smartwatch will best Apple Watch by integrating GPS