Monday, May 22, 2006, 04:00 pm PT (07:00 pm ET)
Celebrities aplenty at Apple\'s latest store openingThe grand opening of Apple Computer's stunning retail location on Fifth Avenue in New York City this weekend drew more than the usual assortment of computer nerds and technophiles.
Attendees also included droves of famed actors, actresses, television personalities and musicians.
Some of the celebrities who made an appearance at the store included Dave Chappelle, Kevin Spacey, Spike Lee, Drew Barrymore, Kevin Bacon, Martha Plimpton, James Woods, Elizabeth Berkley, Liev Schreiber and Rachel Dratch.
Jay Z and his girlfriend Beyoncé also put in an appearance alongside Mos Def, Kanye West, Harry Connick Jr., Julianne Moore, and John Legend.
The star-studded event is rumored to have been orchestrated by Apple's public relations division, which reportedly sent out personal invites to a number of the familiar faces.
Current and former cast members of NBC's Saturday Night Live also made their presence known. Kenan Thompson arrived disguised as the late Notorious B.I.G along with Weekend Update babes Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.
Also spotted in the crowd were SNL regulars Chris Parnell, Fred Armisen, Andy Samburg, Seth Myers, Horatio Sanz, Finesse Mitchell, and Late Night's Triumph the Comic Insult Dog.
Several of the celebrities reportedly walked away from the store with party favors such as Apple's iPod Hi-Fi and the new MacBook. They also got to skip the line of some 3000 eager Mac addicts.
One Mac user's photo gallery of the event includes photos of several of the celebs.
On Topic: General
- Apple's Maps Connect portal lets local businesses create, add details to listings
- Apple leadership awarded restricted stock unit bonus currently worth $19M
- Apple spent $1M on lobbying US government in Q3, focused on health, data privacy, more
- GT Advanced reaches bankruptcy deal with Apple, will sell off more than 2,000 sapphire furnaces to pay debt
- Hackers targeting Apple iCloud users in mainland China with 'massive' attack