Tuesday, August 15, 2006, 05:00 pm PT (08:00 pm ET)
Apple releases Boot Camp 1.1 betaApple Computer on Tuesday released a significant update to its Boot Camp software, a dual-boot solution designed to allow Intel-based Macs users to also boot and run Microsoft's Windows operating system.
According Apple's Boot Camp Web site, Boot Camp 1.1 beta contains many updates and is intended for all new and previous Boot Camp beta users. The 202MB release is immediately available as a free download.
Among the enhancements in the new version are support for Apple's new Mac Pro and Xserve systems, iSight camera support and right-clicking when pressing the right-hand Apple key on Apple keyboards.
Also new in Boot Camp 1.1 beta is the ability to install Windows XP on any internal disk, support for built-in microphones, improved Apple keyboard support and easier hard disk partitioning through new presets.
Apple recommends that users who installed the initial Boot Camp beta update their Macs to Boot Camp 1.1 beta.
"You don't need to partition your hard drive again (unless you want to change its size) or reinstall your Macintosh and Windows software or documents, but it's very important to update the Boot Camp Assistant software, create a new Macintosh Drivers for Windows CD and install the updated software it contains on Windows XP," the company said.
Complete instructions on installation and upgrades are provided in the Installation and Setup Guide included with the latest Boot Camp 1.1 beta download.
On Topic: General
- Samsung asks New Yorkers to compare Apple's iPad Air to Galaxy Tab S in new ad
- Apple's mysterious 2-story structure at site of Sept. 9 event drives frenzy even further
- Apple announces Sept. 9 event for expected 'iPhone 6' & 'iWatch' unveiling: 'Wish we could say more'
- Apple wins patent for Steve Jobs-designed Fifth Ave glass cube
- LG and Samsung announce new smartwatches ahead of Apple's anticipated 'iWatch' reveal [u]