Monday, February 19, 2007, 03:00 pm PT (06:00 pm ET)
Apple update offers third party WWAN supportA software updated released by Apple on Monday delivers support for third party wireless wide area network (WWAN) products, bolstering support for Macs looking to connect to WWAN networks from the three largest U.S. wireless carriers.
In particular, the software update, labeled WWAN Support Update 1.0, delivers compatibility for Novatel's Merlin XU870 ExpressCard (HSDPA) available to Cingular Wireless subscribers.
For Sprint, the update provides compatibility with both the Novatel Wireless Merlin EX720 Express Card (EVDO Rev. A) and the Novatel Wireless Ovation U720 USB Modem (USB Adapter, EVDO Rev. A)
The Apple update also delivers support for three cards compatibile with the Verizon network, namely the Novatel XV620 ExpressCard (EVDO Rev. 0), Novatel V740 ExpressCard (EVDO Rev. A), and Novatel Wireless Ovation U720 (USB Adapter, EVDO Rev. A).
The 350KB updated is available only for Intel-based Macs running Mac OS X 10.4.8. Intel Mac owners can access the update via the Mac OS X Software Update mechanism or download it from Apple's support site.
On Topic: General
- LG and Samsung announce new smartwatches ahead of Apple's anticipated 'iWatch' reveal [u]
- Judge denies Apple injunction against Samsung devices in second California patent trial
- Spotify adds new hardware partners for Apple AirPlay rival Spotify Connect
- LaCie unveils 48TB Thunderbolt 2 drive, Dropbox upgrades Pro plans to 1TB
- iPhone-controlled August Smart Lock finally starts shipping to preorder customers