Tuesday, August 28, 2007, 04:00 pm PT (07:00 pm ET)
Apple confirms "Special Event" on September 5thApple Inc. will use a special media event on September 5th to introduce a new array of digital media offerings, according to digital invitations issued to analysts and members of the media Tuesday afternoon.
The invites, which arrived by e-mail, depict an enlarged CoverFlow interface with the caption, "The beat goes on." The wording appears to have been borrowed from the trailing line of The Beatles' final press release, which was issued by Apple Records on April 10, 1970, following the band's split.
"Spring is here and Leeds play Chelsea tomorrow and Ringo and John and George and Paul are alive and well and full of hope. The world is still spinning and so are we and so are you," read the 1970 Beatles release. "When the spinning stops — that'll be the time to worry, not before. Until then, the Beatles are alive and well and the beat goes on, the beat goes on."
Apple's event is scheduled to take place at the Moscone West in San Francisco on September 5 at 10:00 a.m.
Apple is widely expected to use the gathering to usher in a new breed of Mac OS X-based iPods. Additional announcements relating to the company's iTunes software and digital media download service are also expected.
On Topic: General
- Apple to build 25 new Apple Stores in China in two years
- Apple CEO Tim Cook visits Foxconn iPhone factory on China 'road trip'
- Apple to drop SSL 3.0 support for push notifications on Oct. 29 due to POODLE vulnerability
- Rare working Apple I goes for record-smashing $905,000 at auction
- Apple avoids $94M patent infringement suit leveled by patent troll GPNE