Apple UK to host special (iPhone?) event next weekApple is calling on the UK press for a special media presentation next week to be held at the company's flagship retail store in London, reports Macworld UK.
Digital invites to the event simply state that: "Mum is no longer the word", and ask media and analysts to show up at 10:00 a.m., Tuesday 18 September, for a press conference.
It's widely expected that Apple will use the gathering to reveal long-awaited plans to brings its sleek, touch-screen iPhone handset to select parts of Europe.
In speaking to Reuters, an Apple spokesman in Germany would say only that the company plans to announce which wireless carriers had clinched deals to offer the handset by the end of September.
Reports have suggested that the US-based consumer electronics giant has struck a UK deal with Spanish Telefonica's O2 UK unit, a German deal with Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobile and a French deal with France Telecom's Orange.
In the unlikely event that Apple is not yet ready to reveal its European iPhone plans, Macworld UK believes that another scenario for the event could be the launch an extended television or film service in the UK.
"The company could also be ready to add Beatles to iTunes," the publication added, "although the general consensus is that these scenarios would involve either a world-wide announcement, or a different venue to the Apple store."
On Topic: General
- Apple's push into automotive spurs race to cash in on car-as-device gold rush
- Apple to reportedly debut co-designed third-party accessory packaging at Apple Stores next week
- Rapper recorded album by posting up at NYC Apple Store every day for 4 months
- Google's Waze mapping service launches carpooling trial in Israel
- GoPro launches compact, single-button Hero4 Session camera with iPhone connectivity