Apple offers file system fix for new MacBooksApple said Monday that some MacBook and MacBook Pro computers shipped without the company's recommended file system settings enabled and has released a small update to help owners remedy the issue.
"Some MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007) and MacBook Pro (2.2/2.4GHz Mid 2007) computers were shipped with file system journaling turned off," the company explained. "Journaling is recommended for all Macintosh computers as a preventative measure against file corruption."
In order to update affected systems with the proper settings, Apple recommends that owners install a just-relased MacBook, MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0 to enable journaling, and then closely follow the steps below to check their hard disk drive volume:
- Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your computer then restart the computer while holding the "C" key.
- When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (You must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
- Click the First Aid tab.
- Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
- Select your internal hard disk drive volume. This is usually Macintosh HD but your internal hard disk drive may have a different name.
- Click Repair.
Tip: It's important to start up your computer from a Mac OS X Install or Restore disc to allow Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume.
On Topic: General
- Talent behind 'Steve Jobs' didn't worry about looking like or appeasing their real-life counterparts
- Review: 'Steve Jobs' an electric depiction of Apple's enigmatic founder
- This week on AppleInsider: 13 million iPhones, OS X El Capitan, Bell on board & more
- Apple enhances Siri team with purchase of VocalIQ, a car-focused British speech tech firm
- Apple, Inc. massively expanding its iCloud data centers in Nevada, Oregon