AT&T now showing "iPhone Black" model in device listing [u]AT&T Wireless, Apple's exclusive iPhone provider in the United States, is now listing a second model of the iPhone in its device database called "iPhone Black," AppleInsider has been informed.
The finding, discovered by a reader on Sunday and confirmed by AppleInsider on Monday, is interesting if nothing else in that it may add a bit of support to ongoing rumors that Apple's second-generation 3G iPhone would sport a black plastic shell as opposed to an aluminum one.
The option to select an "iPhone Black" model is visible alongside the traditional "iPhone" for existing AT&T Wireless customers who are logged into their account on the carrier's website, and who choose to select or update their handset model.
Update: Gizmodo reports on comments from an AT&T official who claims the "iPhone Black" reference is a placeholder for a "scheduled catalog update" to distinguish existing iPhone models.
On Topic: iPhone
- The best virtual reality apps for iPhone, compatible with Google Cardboard
- Fully assembled 'iPhone 6s' display purportedly shown off in new photos
- Suppliers ramping up Force Touch module shipments for 'iPhone 6s,' rumor claims
- New 'iPhone 6s' leak shows parts such as unified flex cables, camera and home button rings
- Surging iPhone, plummeting feature phone sales push Apple past Microsoft in mobile market