How to hand-down your old iPhone after upgrading to iPhone 3GOriginal iPhone owners upgrading to an iPhone 3G can hand-down their old iPhone to a family member or friend with a few simple steps, the most complex of which entails a trek down to a local AT&T retail store to pick up a fresh SIM card.
Giving your old iPhone to a family member or friend
- You can hand down your old iPhone to someone else while activating your new iPhone 3G at an Apple or AT&T store, or anytime thereafter.
- Since your original iPhone's phone number is going to be used on your new iPhone 3G, the person receiving the original iPhone will need a new SIM card, which you can get by stopping by an AT&T retail store.
- You can add a new line or transfer an existing line to the original iPhone from home using iTunes. If you need help adding a new line, you can always walk into an AT&T store and see an associate.
- Once you've obtained a new SIM card for the original iPhone, the original iPhone can be activated through iTunes like you originally activated it.
- If the original iPhone is instead activated with its new SIM card in an AT&T store, you'll want to later connect it to iTunes and select "existing customer" to complete the process, even if you're new to AT&T.
- Users who'll be porting a non-AT&T phone number for use with an original iPhone can review the required number porting information covered in one of AT&T's earlier video guides.
- If AT&T tells you your out-of-area mobile number is ineligible for porting, try the steps taken by AppleInsider's Publisher last June when he successfully ported his 'ineligible' mobile number to AT&T and iPhone.
A video guide covering the hand-down process follows. AT&T is also offering a PDF file containing similar information and instructions on how to remove and replace an iPhone's SIM card.
On Topic: iPhone
- Adobe Lightroom for iOS now supports RAW shooting on iPhone 7, 7 Plus
- iPhone 7 owners complain about issues with BMW Bluetooth support, Verizon LTE connections
- FCC votes to upgrade emergency alerts on phones with links & more information
- Apple's latest iPhone 7 ad brings iOS 10 'happy birthday' balloons in Messages to life
- Apple acknowledges tracking iMessage metadata and sharing it with law enforcement