Monday, July 14, 2008, 05:40 am PT (08:40 am ET)
iPhone App Store downloads top 10 million in first weekendIn addition to selling more than 1 million of its new iPhone 3G handsets since Friday, Apple announced that iPhone and iPod touch users also downloaded more than 10 million applications from the the company's new App Store during the same three-day period.
"The App Store is a grand slam, with a staggering 10 million applications downloaded in just three days, said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "Developers have created some extraordinary applications, and the App Store can wirelessly deliver them to every iPhone and iPod touch user instantly.
Having launched with just over 500 native iPhone and iPod touch-ready applications, Apple now says the number of apps available for download has swelled to more than 800. Over 200 of those applications are available for free and more than 90 percent remain priced at less than $10.
Many of these new applications take advantage of iPhones large display, Multi-Touch user interface, fast hardware-accelerated 3D graphics, built-in accelerometer and location-based technology.
The App Store on iPhone works over cellular networks and Wi-Fi, which means it is accessible from just about anywhere, so users can purchase and download applications wirelessly and start using them instantly.
Applications are free or charged to the users iTunes account and the App Store notifies the user when updates are available for their apps. Customers can also shop the App Store from iTunes running on a Mac or PC, which syncs applications to the iPhone or iPod touch using a USB cable.
On Topic: iPhone
- As iPhone 6 units are smuggled in 'Twinkie boxes,' Chinese government says regulatory approval coming soon
- Apple again taps Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon for new iPhone 6 ads
- Profiteers flipping iPhone 6 units to Chinese reportedly to blame for fight at Apple Store
- Apple's A8-powered iPhone 6 & 6 Plus impress, outperform competing phones in benchmarks
- Skype for iPhone, Google Chrome updated with iOS 8 enhancements