Wal-Mart next to carry Apple's iPhone - reportDiscount department chain Wal-Mart may become the second independent US retailer to carry Apple's vaunted iPhone 3G next month, according to an unconfirmed report.
Citing one of its "ninjas," BGR claims to have it on good authority that the big-box retailer will join Best Buy as the only other third-party iPhone reseller ahead of the holiday shopping season.
Specifically, the gadget blog believes an announcement is scheduled for Saturday, November 15th, approximately two weeks before Black Friday — traditionally the start of the US holiday shopping season and busiest shopping day of the year.
BGR had previously joined AppleInsider in accurately predicting (1, 2) that Best Buy would become Apple's first authorized third party sales channel for the iPhone. However, it added in those reports that Radio Shack was also poised to carry the device.
The gadget blog said its uncertain whether Radio Shack is still in the running to receive the iPhone, but suggests that Wal-Mart "has swooped down and stolen" its thunder for the meantime.
Wal-Mart is the world's largest public corporation and private employer, operating over 3500 Discount and Supercenter locations in the United States alone. The retailer is also one of Apple's highest volume iPod resellers worldwide.
On Topic: iPhone
- Supply chain evidence of 4-inch 'iPhone 6c' disappears, analyst says
- Apple to greatly expand retail presence in India with 500 'Authorized Mobility Resellers'
- Police shut down Chinese factory that produced $19M worth of fake iPhones
- Apple takes 'If it's not an iPhone' ad campaign online with new minisite
- Apple's $26.5B in purchase commitments hint at huge 'iPhone 6s' launch