Apple releases fix for quirky MacBook glass trackpadsApple has released a software update to address an issue where trackpad clicks would randomly go unrecognized on its latest notebook offerings: the MacBook (Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (Late 2008).
"This firmware update addresses an issue where trackpad clicks may not be recognized on MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) and MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008) computers," the company said.
Installing the update
You can download and install the update from the Software Update mechanism built into Mac OS X.
Alternatively, you can download the update manually and follow a two part process: installing the firmware update [Download - 923KB] application onto your hard drive and using the firmware update application to update your trackpad's firmware.
Installing the update manually
Ensure that your computer is plugged into an AC power source before you start. Then:
- Close any open applications.
- Download the MacBook, MacBook Pro Trackpad Firmware Update 1.0. The download will place a disk image that contains an installer onto your desktop. If you downloaded the update via Safari, Safari will notify you that an application is contained in the image. Click OK to continue.
- If "Open safe files after downloading" is checked in Safari preferences, the disk image file will mount by itself. If that preference is not enabled in Safari, double-click the disk image to mount it.
- Double-click the trackpad firmware update disk image to open it.
- Double-click the TrackpadFirmwareUpdate.pkg file.
- Read the introduction, then click Continue.
- After reading the licensing agreement, click Continue.
- To agree to its terms, click Agree.
- Click Install to install the update application in /Applications/Utilities.
- You will be asked for your administrator password. Enter the password and click OK.
- After the software is successfully installed on your hard drive, an Installation Completed Successfully message appears. Click Close to start the updater application.
- Read the onscreen firmware update installation instructions, then click Update to proceed. Note: The firmware update application may appear behind the installation window.
- You will be asked again for you administrator password. Enter the password and click OK. A progress bar will appear while the update is being applied. The trackpad will not respond during the update. Do not interrupt the update or shut off power on your computer while the update is in progress.
- When the update is complete, you will see "The update completed successfully" in the Status field of the updater application. Click Quit.
Once you've completed the above steps, your trackpad should be updated. You do not need to restart to recognize the benefits of the update.
AppleInsider readers are encouraged to report on their experiences with the update in the forum thread for this article.
On Topic: MacBook
- Patriot unveils USB-C flash drive for Apple's MacBook
- Apple Watch preorders cause spike in Apple phone, chat support wait times
- Embracing a wireless future: What it's like to use Apple's 12" MacBook as your main computer
- Deals: $144 off 12" MacBooks with AppleCare; 27" Dell Ultra HD 4K display for $525; 64GB iPad Air Wi-Fi + 4G LTE for $409; more...
- Apple details fix for 12" MacBook Setup Assistant issues