iPhone Dev Team to unlock iPhone 3G for New YearsThough its been a long time coming, a group of hackers known as the iPhone Dev Team have successfully created a software unlock for the iPhone 3G that should free owners to use the handset on carriers other than those sanctioned by Apple.
The hack, code-named "yellowsn0w," is currently being packaged into a user-friendly application with the simplicity provided by similar tools such as the PwnageTool jailbreaking assistant and BootNeuter baseband unlocker.
An public release is slated for December 31st, New Year's Eve.
The unlock will require a jailbroken iPhone 3G that's running baseband version 2.11.07 or earlier. To ensure that an iPhone preserves an unlockable version of the baseband, the Dev Team recommends that users refrain from using the QuickPwn tool or applying any of Apple's iPhone software updates that aren't already supported by the PwnageTool jailbreaking app.
On Topic: iPhone
- How to watch Super Bowl 50 on your Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV
- TSMC, other Apple suppliers in Taiwan largely unaffected by deadly 6.4 earthquake
- Apple's rumored 4" iPhone to launch with hot pink color option, report says
- Apple acknowledges 'Error 53' glitch, says it's part of Touch ID security [u]
- Apple Pay hits 1,000 US card issuers ahead of planned retail expansions