Tuesday, December 16, 2008, 07:00 am PT (10:00 am ET)
iPhone Dev Team to unlock iPhone 3G for New YearsThough its been a long time coming, a group of hackers known as the iPhone Dev Team have successfully created a software unlock for the iPhone 3G that should free owners to use the handset on carriers other than those sanctioned by Apple.
The hack, code-named "yellowsn0w," is currently being packaged into a user-friendly application with the simplicity provided by similar tools such as the PwnageTool jailbreaking assistant and BootNeuter baseband unlocker.
An public release is slated for December 31st, New Year's Eve.
The unlock will require a jailbroken iPhone 3G that's running baseband version 2.11.07 or earlier. To ensure that an iPhone preserves an unlockable version of the baseband, the Dev Team recommends that users refrain from using the QuickPwn tool or applying any of Apple's iPhone software updates that aren't already supported by the PwnageTool jailbreaking app.
On Topic: iPhone
- Galaxy Note 3 phablet accounts for just 1/10 of Samsung's 2013 premium phone sales
- Fiverr lets users buy & sell services anywhere with new iPhone app
- iPhone 5s now shipping from Apple's online store within 24 hours
- Apple's iPhone 5s, 5c available on Straight Talk & NET10 starting Friday
- Apple catches up with iPhone 5s demand, achieves full availability at its stores