Apple selling 8GB memory upgrade kits for 15" MacBook Pros [u]It will cost you an arm and a leg, but Apple is now offering an official 8GB memory upgrade kit for the mid- and high-end models of its current 15-inch unbibody MacBook Pro family, AppleInsider has discovered.
The kit containing a pair of 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SO-DIMMs is available immediately for a whopping $1200, or nearly the price of the company's entry-level 13-inch unibody MacBook.
According to a page on the company's online store, the upgrades are available only for the 2.66GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro (link) and 2.93GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro (link), but not the 2.4GHz model.
It's unclear whether the memory modules are compatible with the 2.53GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro, which was introduced in October and replaced this month by the 2.66GHz model.
The upgrade kit doubles the maximum amount of memory supported by the 15-inch MacBook Pro, bringing it up to spec with its 17-inch cousin.
Its addition to the Apple online store appears to be fairly recently, as the technical specifications printed on the product page for the 15-inch MacBook Pro still indicate that the 2.66GHz MacBook Pro "supports up to 4GB" of DDR3 SDRAM.
Update: AppleInsider reader Stu just spoke with an Apple store support representative online who claims the 8GB upgrade kit is indeed compatible with the 2.53GHz 15-inch MacBook Pro. A copy of the chat transcript follows:
On Topic: MacBook Pro
- Record Low Prices: Apple's iMac 4K falls $200 to $1,299, iMac 5K to $1,599, 15" MacBook Pro to $1699 at B&H ahead of Black Friday
- Exclusive Deal: Free 32GB Apple TV with all 2015 MacBook Pros plus up to $230 in additional discounts per model with no tax in 48 states
- Free Apple SuperDrive and 50% off AppleCare with 13" MacBook Pros & 13" MacBook Airs (2015 models)
- 10 Days Only: Free AppleCare & Free Apple SuperDrive with 15" MacBook Pros (Late 2015)
- Apple activates Quality Program for Retina MacBook Pro screen coating issue