Wednesday, June 17, 2009, 10:00 am PT (01:00 pm ET)
Apple releases iPhone Software 3.0Apple on Wednesday afternoon formally rolled out iPhone Software 3.0 for existing iPhone and iPod touch customers, delivering some long-requested features such as copy & paste.
In total, iPhone Software 3.0 delivers over 100 new features when compared to the previous version (2.2.1). Some of the more prominent enhancements include:
- Cut, Copy & Paste: Quickly cut, copy, and paste text from application to application. Select entire blocks of web text with a tap. Copy and paste images from the web, too.
- Landscape Keyboard: Rotate iPhone to landscape to use a larger keyboard in Mail, Messages, Notes, and Safari.
- MMS: Send MMS messages and include video, photos, audio, and contact info. Even tap to snap a picture or shoot a video right inside Messages. MMS support for U.S.-based AT&T customers won't be available until late summer.
- Spotlight Search: Find what youre looking for across your iPhone, all from one place. Spotlight searches all of your contacts, email, calendars, and notes, as well as everything in your iPod.
- Voice Memos: Capture a memo, a meeting, or any audio recording on the go. Voice Memos works with the built-in iPhone microphone or with the mic on your headset.
- Improved Calendar: Create meetings via Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and subscribe to calendars with new CalDAV support.
- Buy Movies, TV Shows, and Audiobooks: Download movies, TV shows, music videos, and audiobooks from the iTunes Store on your iPhone.
- Safari Improvements: Enjoy faster performance, autofill user names and passwords, and more.
- Internet Tethering: Share your Internet connection with your laptop with Internet tethering via Bluetooth or USB. Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries.
- Stereo Bluetooth: Connect compatible Bluetooth stereo headphones, car kits, or other accessories.
- Automatic Wi-Fi Login: Log in to a Wi-Fi hotspot and iPhone automatically logs you in when you connect again.
- Sync Notes: Never leave a note behind. Now you can sync all the notes you write on your iPhone back to your Mac or PC.
- Parental Controls: Decide what music, videos, and apps your kids can access.
- iTunes Store Account: Create and log in to one or more iTunes Store accounts directly from your iPhone.
- YouTube Login: Log in to your YouTube account to save and sync bookmarks and rate favorites.
- Shake to Shuffle: Give iPhone a shake and it shuffles to a different song in your music library.
- New Languages: iPhone supports 30 languages and more than 40 keyboard layouts.
- MobileMe Find My iPhone and Remote Wipe: Find your iPhone if you lose it and protect your privacy with Remote Wipe.
- Run the Latest Apps: Run the next generation of iPhone apps, like peer-to-peer games and more.
iPhone and iPhone 3G customers can download the new iPhone OS 3.0 software for free while iPod touch customers will first need to purchase the update for $9.95 (US) before downloading and installing it.
To update your iPhone or iPod touch to iPhone Software 3.0, make sure you are using iTunes 8.2 and then connect your iPhone or iPod to your computer. When iTunes opens, select your iPhone or iPod under Devices in the Source List on the left.
In the Summary pane, click "Check for Update." Click Download and Install. Do not disconnect your device until the update has finished.
AppleInsider readers are encouraged to provide feedback on their upgrade experiences for other readers in the comments thread for this article.
On Topic: iPhone
- Razer iPhone game controller leaks, Ryan Seacrest creates an iPhone keyboard
- Apple improves iPhone 5s ship times to 1-3 days for all models
- Apple still dominates US smartphone market, Samsung inches up
- Justin Bieber wanted $200k to represent BlackBerry, advertises iPhone for free
- Kickstarter projects let you charge your iPhone with fire, snap pics in the dark with better flash