Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as SeptemberA Chinese newspaper has reported that Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. will assemble tablet computers for Apple that may appear for sale as early as September.
The report, published by the Taipei, Taiwan Apple Daily paper and carried by Dow Jones, cited unnamed sources in reporting that Wintek Corp. would supply flat panel screens for the device and that its battery would be built by Dynapack International Technology Corp.
According to AppleInsider's own sources, Apple's expected new tablet device, with a 10" display and integrated 3G service, is not anticipated to arrive before early 2010.
That suggests that the report related to Hon Hai may instead reflect the upcoming third generation iPod touch, which could easily be described as a "tablet computer" and is expected to arrive in the September iPod refresh as both previous new generations.
However, the paper specifically cites the device in its report as having a 10" screen and 3G data service and describes it as being an enlarged iPod, not just a revamped version of the existing iPod touch. The report indicates the model will hit the market in September or October in order to hit the Christmas holiday season, but notes that reports in the 'foreign media' are not expecting it to arrive until the first quarter of next year.
On Topic: Future Hardware
- Apple's Siri-based Echo competitor could come with facial recognition camera, ship in 2017
- Apple working on charging infrastructure for electric cars - report
- New 13" MacBook to launch in Q3, end development of MacBook Air insider says
- Touch ID, OLED touch bar to highlight thinner MacBook Pro models in Q4
- Uber unleashes experimental self-driving car on streets of Pittsburgh