Report: Hon Hai to build Apple tablets as soon as SeptemberA Chinese newspaper has reported that Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. will assemble tablet computers for Apple that may appear for sale as early as September.
The report, published by the Taipei, Taiwan Apple Daily paper and carried by Dow Jones, cited unnamed sources in reporting that Wintek Corp. would supply flat panel screens for the device and that its battery would be built by Dynapack International Technology Corp.
According to AppleInsider's own sources, Apple's expected new tablet device, with a 10" display and integrated 3G service, is not anticipated to arrive before early 2010.
That suggests that the report related to Hon Hai may instead reflect the upcoming third generation iPod touch, which could easily be described as a "tablet computer" and is expected to arrive in the September iPod refresh as both previous new generations.
However, the paper specifically cites the device in its report as having a 10" screen and 3G data service and describes it as being an enlarged iPod, not just a revamped version of the existing iPod touch. The report indicates the model will hit the market in September or October in order to hit the Christmas holiday season, but notes that reports in the 'foreign media' are not expecting it to arrive until the first quarter of next year.
On Topic: Future Hardware
- Apple still working on next-gen external display with integrated graphics card - report
- Apple shows interest in expanding True Tone color accuracy beyond the 9.7" iPad Pro
- MacOS Sierra code hints at MacBook Pro touch bar, Touch ID integration
- MacBook Pro with OLED touchbar visualized in new concept renderings
- New US guidelines on self-driving cars coming in July, NHTSA official says