Snow Leopard documents spotted, iPod heist leads to jail timeDocumentation for Snow Leopard Server is available for download from Apple; Flixter has updated its iPhone Movies app; and the man behind an iPod heist in Michigan has been sentenced to jail.
Snow Leopard Server documentation released
Apple this week uploaded documentation for the upcoming Snow Leopard Server to its Web site. Offered are the Mac OS X Server Installation & Setup Worksheet, as well as the Getting Started guide. The links were provided to AppleInsider by Damien Corbell, of Corbell Consulting.
The documents help users install, set up, and manage their new copy of Snow Leopard Server. The new operating system from Apple will be released this Friday.
"With Snow Leopard Server, small organizations and workgroups without an IT
department can take full advantage of the benefits of a server," the Getting Started document reads. "Even a nontechnical user can set up and manage Snow Leopard Server for a group. Other users in the group can automatically configure their Macs to get services from Snow Leopard Server. Snow Leopard Server has advanced configuration options and management tools for IT professionals as well."
While apparently not yet available online, AppleInsider has also been provided the "Welcome to Snow Leopard" document included in the retail disc. It highlights new features of the operating system update and many basics of Mac OS X.
Mac OS X Server 10.6 Snow Leopard has a suggested retail price of $499, while the $29 single user license and and $49 five-license family pack are also available. There are also two upgrade box sets: OS, iWork and iLife ($169) and the five-license family pack, iWork and iLife ($229).
In other Snow Leopard news, a source has provided AppleInsider with screenshots of the server version's final version.plist file, as well as the install disc screen.
Flixter updates Movies iPhone app
Jeff Grossman, developer of Movies, called version 3.0 a "huge update." It adds a number of features, most notably support for controlling a user's Netflix queue. Subscribers will be able to view and manage their queue, delete and reorder movies, and edit both DVD and Instant Watch listings.
Other features, according to Grossman, include:
- Integrated movie ticketing - Purchase tickets directly from your device and pick up the tickets at the theater
- Want to See List - Login with your Facebook or Flixster account to be able to rate movies, including creating a Want to See list
- Yelp Integration - Easily find restaurants near theaters and read reviews with the Yelp app on your device
- iTunes Movie Store Integration - Buy or rent movies from iTunes right on your device
- Improved Social Features - The social networking features of the app are much easier to use. You can now view 5x more movies in your Want to See or Rated lists.
- Flixster Account Login - Connect with your Facebook account, or if you would prefer, you can now login with your Flixster account
- Built-in Maps - View maps of all theaters playing a particular movie in your area
- An overall refreshed user interface that makes the app even better
The free application is available from the App Store.
Man behind iPod heist gets prison sentence, fine
A Michigan man who was sued by Apple for misuse of the iPod trademark and manipulating the company to send him replacement units for free has been given jail time.
Nicholas Woodhams was accused in June of misusing Apple's iPod trademarks through his company iPod Mechanic. Wood TV 8 in Grand Rapids, Mich., reported this week that Woodhams will serve 13 months in prison, will pay $648,568 in restitution to Apple, and must pay $8066.85 to the postal service.
In his scheme, Woodhams would obtain broken iPods and send the serial numbers to Apple for replacements. He would then sell the ones sent from Apple for $49, something he reportedly did more than 9,000 in 2006 and 2007.
On Topic: General
- AppleInsider podcast discusses new Macs, Apple Watch update & Wall Street analysts
- Rumor: Delayed Kanye West album could debut on Apple's streaming music service
- Regent Street Apple Store to undergo major renovations for more light, street visibility
- Apple's iCloud experiences hours-long global outage and service slowdowns [u]
- Apple invents adaptive eye-tracking 3D display, highly portable cellular hotspot