Apple schedules special event for Jan. 26, 2010 - reportApple has reportedly scheduled a media event at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco on Tuesday Jan. 26, 2010, for a major product announcement.
Citing inside sources, the Financial Times said Wednesday evening that Apple has rented the stage for "several days" at the end of January. Officials with Apple and the center declined to comment.
While the topic of the event is unknown, Wednesday's firestorm of tablet-related news could provide a strong hint:
- The Financial Times had reported earlier that Apple's long-rumored touchscreen device was due for a Jan 2010 unveiling, and would enter into mass production soon after. The publication said the device would have something to do with Apple's rumored negotiations with TV networks for a subscription plan for video content on iTunes.
- Analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray said he believed there was a 75 percent chance that Apple will hold a special event in January. However, he said, it is not guaranteed that such an event would be about the long-rumored tablet device.
- Another report alleged that a tablet with a 7-inch screen was due to be announced in January. That's different from months of reports that the device would have a 10-inch screen, though some have speculated Apple could release both form factors.
- Silicon Alley Insider was told by a source that Apple asked developers to prepare full screen versions of their apps for a January demo. Apple reportedly wanted software to scale beyond the 320x480 pixel size of the current iPhone and iPod touch screen, but said that applications that can accommodate the larger screen size will run "just fine" on the new device.
Speculation about Apple's tablet has been rampant for months. While some believed the device would arrive this fall, AppleInsider first reported in July that the 10-inch, 3G-enabled device would debut in early 2010. The new hardware is said to have been created under the watchful eye of company co-founder Steve Jobs.
On Topic: Future Hardware
- Review roundup: Apple's 12" MacBook ahead of its time, but hurt by weak processor, too few ports
- Apple's new 12" MacBook shown off, compared to 11" MacBook Air in 15-minute video
- Display makers increase IGZO capacity as Apple ponders next-gen panels for 'iPad Pro' - report
- Apple to release super-high resolution 'iMac 8K' later this year, display partner LG says
- Apple's ultra-thin 12-inch MacBook benchmarks on par with 2011 MacBook Air