Thursday, March 11, 2010, 06:05 pm PT (09:05 pm ET)
Apple to accept U.S. iPad preorders starting at 8:30 a.m. EasternApple is set to take preorders for its highly anticipated iPad multimedia device Friday, and the company's Web site will begin accepting advance orders from customers at 8:30 a.m. Eastern, 5:30 a.m. Pacific.
Jim Dalrymple at The Loop reported Thursday that preorders for the Wi-Fi-only iPad will begin first-thing Friday morning. The Wi-Fi iPad is set to launch in the U.S. on April 3, with the 3G capable model coming later that month.
In addition, both the Wi-Fi and 3G models will be available in the U.K., Canada, France, Germany, Australia, Italy, Japan, Span and Switzerland in late April.
The iPad starts at $499 for the 16GB model with Wi-Fi, going up to $599 for 32GB and $699 for 64GB. The models with both Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity, compatible only with AT&T in the U.S., carry a $130 premium.
Apple introduced the iPad in late January and announced a 60-day launch window for the Wi-Fi model, and 90 day wait for the 3G option. The April 3 launch comes just a few days after that deadline.
Apple's marketing blitz for the iPad began on Sunday, when the company ran its very first TV advertisement for the product during the Academy Awards. The 30-second spot races through a variety of features as the song "There Goes My Love" by the Blue Van.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- Review: Apple's mid-2014 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
- PSW14 Deals: $600 off DSLRs, $300 off Pentax Lenses, $260 off Mac Pros, plus hundreds off lighting systems, kits & more
- Review: BlueLounge's Kickflip is a low-cost way to make typing on Apple's MacBook Pro even better
- Review: Apple's mid-2014 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
- Deals: $400-$600 off 2013 MacBook Pros, $160- $260 off Mac Pros, $50 off iPads, and a $750 students 13-inch MacBook Air, iPhone 5