Thursday, April 08, 2010, 01:00 pm PT (04:00 pm ET)
Apple's iPhone Software 4.0, multitasking demoed in videos [u]Apple on Thursday said that this summer's iPhone Software 4.0 release will include long-awaited support for multitasking, which can be seen in action via the following video. [Updated with walk-through video].
In order to deliver multitasking without incurring a performance hit in battery life, the iPhone maker said it has created seven different multitasking services for developers, each tuned to solve different multitasking scenarios.
Among them are Background Audio, Voice over IP, Background location, Push notifications, Local notifications, Task completion, and Fast app switching.
When combined with Apple's Dashboard-like user-facing interface for fast app switching, the end result is what can be seen from the below video of an iPhone 3GS running the first external beta of iPhone Software 4.0:
A more extensive walk-through of the iPhone Software 4.0:
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple's A8 SoC likely carrying new 6-core PowerVR GPU, clocked at 1.4GHz with 1GB RAM
- Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus reach record 4 million preorders in first day
- Samsung calls Apple's iPhone 6 Plus a Galaxy Note imitation in new ad
- iPhone trade-in roundup: Apple, Amazon, Best Buy, BuyBack World, Gazelle, NextWorth, uSell, Target & Walmart
- iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus preorder delivery dates slip as AT&T sees biggest-ever pre-sale launch