Apple's iPhone Software 4.0, multitasking demoed in videos [u]Apple on Thursday said that this summer's iPhone Software 4.0 release will include long-awaited support for multitasking, which can be seen in action via the following video. [Updated with walk-through video].
In order to deliver multitasking without incurring a performance hit in battery life, the iPhone maker said it has created seven different multitasking services for developers, each tuned to solve different multitasking scenarios.
Among them are Background Audio, Voice over IP, Background location, Push notifications, Local notifications, Task completion, and Fast app switching.
When combined with Apple's Dashboard-like user-facing interface for fast app switching, the end result is what can be seen from the below video of an iPhone 3GS running the first external beta of iPhone Software 4.0:
A more extensive walk-through of the iPhone Software 4.0:
On Topic: iPhone
- Qualcomm's iPhone 7 Plus modem beats Intel modem in areas with weak signal
- Apple's iPhone leads in JD Power satisfaction survey of US carrier customers
- Facebook updates iOS app with food & ticket purchases, new Recommendations system & more
- Apple Pay picks up 24 more US banks & credit unions plus British Airways bookings
- Researchers expect 74 million iPhone sales in Q4 2016 on strength of new releases