Thursday, April 08, 2010, 01:00 pm PT (04:00 pm ET)
Apple's iPhone Software 4.0, multitasking demoed in videos [u]Apple on Thursday said that this summer's iPhone Software 4.0 release will include long-awaited support for multitasking, which can be seen in action via the following video. [Updated with walk-through video].
In order to deliver multitasking without incurring a performance hit in battery life, the iPhone maker said it has created seven different multitasking services for developers, each tuned to solve different multitasking scenarios.
Among them are Background Audio, Voice over IP, Background location, Push notifications, Local notifications, Task completion, and Fast app switching.
When combined with Apple's Dashboard-like user-facing interface for fast app switching, the end result is what can be seen from the below video of an iPhone 3GS running the first external beta of iPhone Software 4.0:
A more extensive walk-through of the iPhone Software 4.0:
On Topic: iPhone
- Apple still dominates US smartphone market, Samsung inches up
- Justin Bieber wanted $200k to represent BlackBerry, advertises iPhone for free
- Kickstarter projects let you charge your iPhone with fire, snap pics in the dark with better flash
- China Mobile iPhone deal not likely included in Apple's guidance to investors
- AT&T now offers discounted monthly service for contract-free data sharing customers