Apple profits rise over 89% on sales of 2.94M Macs, 8.75M iPhonesApple said Tuesday that second-quarter profits rose nearly 90 percent to $3.07 billion, or $3.33 per diluted share, on record non-holiday quarter sales of $13.50 billion for the three-month period ended March 27, 2010.
These results compare to revenue of $9.08 billion and net quarterly profit of $1.62 billion, or $1.79 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 41.7 percent, up from 39.9 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 58 percent of the quarters revenue.
Apple sold 2.94 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, representing a 33 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The company also sold 8.75 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 131 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. iPod sales came in at 10.89 million units, representing a one percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter.
"Were thrilled to report our best non-holiday quarter ever, with revenues up 49 percent and profits up 90 percent," said Steve Jobs, Apples CEO. "Weve launched our revolutionary new iPad and users are loving it, and we have several more extraordinary products in the pipeline for this year."
"Looking ahead to the third fiscal quarter of 2010, we expect revenue in the range of about $13.0 billion to $13.4 billion and we expect diluted earnings per share in the range of about $2.28 to $2.39," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apples CFO.
Apple will provide live streaming of its Q2 2010 financial results conference call beginning at 2:00 p.m. PDT, 5:00 pm ET . AppleInsider will provide live running coverage.
On Topic: General
- Google's Waze mapping service launches carpooling trial in Israel
- GoPro launches compact, single-button Hero4 Session camera with iPhone connectivity
- Worries about sales of Samsung's Galaxy S6 temper investor expectations ahead of earnings
- This week on AppleInsider: Apple Music, Beats 1, new iPods, car plans & more
- AppleInsider podcast discusses Apple Music & the iPhone's 8th birthday, plus listener questions