Friday, May 07, 2010, 05:35 am PT (08:35 am ET)
Apple announces iPad will launch in 9 more countries on May 28 [u]The iPad will be available in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the U.K. on Friday, May 28, Apple has announced [Updated with pricing].
Preorders for all iPad models, including both 3G and Wi-Fi, will begin next Monday, May 10. The international launch was previously delayed due to strong demand for the iPad in the U.S. The international iPad launch was originally scheduled for late April.
Further launches in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore will occur in July. Apple said it will announce launch dates for nine additional countries at a later date.
Update: Apple updated its press releases with international pricing for the iPad:
- 16GB - 479 Europe, £429 U.K., $549 Canadian, $629 Australian
- 32GB - 579 Europe, £499 U.K., $649 Canadian, $759 Australian
- 64GB - 679 Europe, £599 U.K., $749 Canadian, $879 Australian
Wi-Fi + 3G iPad
- 16GB - 579 Europe, £529 U.K., $679 Canadian, $799 Australian
- 32GB - 679 Europe, £599 U.K., $779 Canadian, $928 Australian
- 64GB - 779 Europe, £699 U.K., $879 Canadian, $1,049 Australian
Apple has already sold more than a million iPads in the U.S. over its first 28 days of availability, selling 300,000 on its first day alone. The Wi-Fi iPad launched on April 3, while the iPad 3G launched a week ago, on April 30.
Since the iPad 3G launched, Apple's U.S. retail stores have been sold out, while availability of the Wi-Fi model has been limited. Stores have resorted to adding customers to a "Notify Me" waiting list, which will give them first priority when new shipments arrive.
The first iPad customers have downloaded more than 12 million apps from the App Store, as well as more than 1.5 million e-books from the new iBookstore. The device runs 200,000 applications available on the App Store, including more than 5,000 created specifically for the device's 9.7-inch touchscreen display.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- Review: Apple's mid-2014 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
- PSW14 Deals: $600 off DSLRs, $300 off Pentax Lenses, $260 off Mac Pros, plus hundreds off lighting systems, kits & more
- Review: BlueLounge's Kickflip is a low-cost way to make typing on Apple's MacBook Pro even better
- Review: Apple's mid-2014 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
- Deals: $400-$600 off 2013 MacBook Pros, $160- $260 off Mac Pros, $50 off iPads, and a $750 students 13-inch MacBook Air, iPhone 5