Friday, June 04, 2010, 08:05 am PT (11:05 am ET)
AT&T sold out of iPhone 3G before Apple's next-gen announcementWith just a few days to go before Apple is expected to formally announce its fourth-generation iPhone, the low-end iPhone 3G is now reportedly out of stock at U.S. carrier AT&T.
Boy Genius Report on Friday published an internal memo allegedly from AT&T, informing stores that the 8GB iPhone 3G, first released in 2008, is completely out of stock.
- Effective immediately, iPhone 3G 8GB is Out of Stock. Please refer all customers to iPhone 3GS 16 GB and 32 GB models.
Q: When will we receive inventory for iPhone 3G 8GB?
A: At this time, we do not know when more iPhone 3G 8GB will arrive.
Q: Are there any iPhone 3G 8 GB available in COR if my customer can purchase there?
A: Check with your local COR stores to see if they have any inventory available.
The memo follows a report from last month that alleged that Apple had stopped shipping the iPhone 3G to AT&T stores. At the time, it was also stated that new orders were not being accepted.
It is widely expected that the iPhone 3G will be discontinued, and Apple will replace the $99 price point with last year's iPhone 3GS. Currently, the iPhone 3GS is available in two capacities, at 16GB and 32GB, while the out-of-stock iPhone 3G was 8GB. Customers have also been unable to select 2008-era iPhone on Apple's online store since late May.
On Monday, Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs will kick off the annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, Calif. It is expected that he will introduce the fourth-generation iPhone, the design of which is believed to already be known thanks to two high-profile leaked prototypes, as well as pictures of various parts that have surfaced online.
The new iPhone is expected to have a redesigned outer shell and a new higher resolution 960 by 640 pixel IPS display for superior viewing angles. Leaked prototypes have also suggested it will add new capabilities like a forward-facing camera for video chat, and camera flash to improve picture lighting.
On Topic: iPhone
- Marissa Mayer wants Apple to ditch Google for Yahoo! as default iOS search engine
- Apple launches smaller-capacity 8GB iPhone 5c in Italy, Sweden, Netherlands, Czech Republic, more
- Case purportedly for Apple's 'iPhone 6' supports claims of power button on upper right side
- Samsung email targeted Steve Jobs' death as "our best opportunity to attack iPhone"
- Apple joins tech heavyweights, wireless carriers in smartphone anti-theft initiative