iPod touch with camera, 11.6-inch MacBook Air expected this yearApple will release a new iPod touch with a 3-megapixel camera capable of recording both photos and video, as well as a redesigned, thinner MacBook Air with an 11.6-inch display this year, a new rumor states.
The new iPod touch is expected to arrive in August or September, when Apple usually refreshes its iPod lineup, while the MacBook Air would arrive in the second half of 2010, according to a new report from Taiwanese industry publication DigiTimes. Mingchi Kuo, senior analyst, said component makers revealed that the redesigned MacBook Air will have an even slimmer and lighter design than the current hardware.
"The technologies used for the design and concept are expected to be broadly used in the company's other product lines to boost their competitiveness," the report said.
Kuo claimed the notebook, which will reportedly sport an 11.6-inch screen, smaller than the current 13.3-inch display, will also be powered by an Intel Core i-series ultra-low voltage processor. Shipment volumes of the new MacBook Air, said to be manufactured by Quanta Computer, are expected to reach just 400,000 units this year.
The MacBook Air was last updated over a year ago, giving it a new entry price of $1,499 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.
Quanta is said to also be the manufacturer of Apple's forthcoming iPod touch update, which will allegedly sport a 3-megapixel camera as well as the same A4 processor found inside the iPhone 4. Previous reports claimed that the new handheld device will also include a forward-facing camera for FaceTime video chat, though DigiTimes only mentioned one camera. iPod touch shipments in 2010 are expected to be between 17 million and 18 million.
On Topic: Future Hardware
- Tim Cook says Apple Watch will replace electronic car keys, confirms Apple Store revamp
- Vogue Paris calls the Apple Watch 'a small revolution' in new two-page spread
- Apple partner Imagination unveils PowerVR 'super-GPU' with 512 ALU cores for game consoles
- 12-page print ad & digital video showcase Apple Watch in March issue of Vogue
- Rumor: Tim Cook reveals waterproofing on Apple Watch has improved since unveiling, can be worn in shower