Wednesday, September 01, 2010, 07:05 am PT (10:05 am ET)
New Apple TV, iPods to debut today, won't ship immediately - reportApple will introduce a new Apple TV and fourth-generation iPod touch today, but none of the products introduced at the company's keynote will ship immediately, a new rumor claims.
Via its official Twitter account, Australian MacWorld revealed Wednesday the alleged product code for the Apple TV refresh set to be introduced. It is claimed that the code is USA MC572 LL/A, but the product is not yet shipping.
A source also told the publication that "it doesn't look like anything will be shipping immediately." That person also indicated that a fourth-generation iPod touch is "definitely coming."
On Tuesday, AppleInsider first reported that the new, smaller iPod nano will not ship immediately either. The new device will be built around a 1.7-inch display, and will retain the 30-pin iPod dock connector.
Reports have indicated that Apple is set to introduce its new Apple TV, perhaps, running the iOS operating system, at today's event. Bloomberg reported Tuesday that the new set top box will ship with the ability to stream instant content available from Netflix.
Apple has also allegedly brokered deals with major networks Fox and ABC, which will allow 99-cent rentals of TV episodes through iTunes.
In April, Australian Macworld correctly stated that Apple would release new MacBook Pros. In May, it revealed a part number it believed would be tied to a MacBook Air refresh, but instead turned out to be an updated MacBook.
On Topic: Apple TV
- Amazon to expand Fire TV voice search to third-party apps and services
- Review follow-up: Gaming on Amazon's Fire TV and Fire Controller
- New Apple TV box with motion controls to play 'key role' for Apple this year, but 'iTV' still a pipe dream
- In pushing for Time Warner merger, Comcast cites Apple's development of new set-top box
- Review: Amazon's Fire TV makes iterative improvements in set-top streaming