Thursday, September 02, 2010, 07:35 pm PT (10:35 pm ET)
Apple posts iPad iOS 4.2 "Coming Soon" pageApple has posted an iPad software update page on its website with details of the forthcoming iOS 4.2.
The page, which went live Thursday, offers a preliminary look at some of the "100+ new features and innovations" for "the world's most advanced mobile operating system." The update is coming in November to iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.
While the iPhone and iPod touch have already been upgraded to iOS 4, the iPad remains on a custom version, iOS 3.2. A few of the features of iOS 4, such as spell correction and support for Bluetooth keyboards, have been incorporated into the iPad-exclusive iOS 3.2, but iPad users will have to wait until November for the full update.
iPhone and iPod touch users, on the other hand, can upgrade to iOS 4.1 on Sept. 8.
Key additions to iOS 4.2 include folders, multitasking, support for wireless printing, and the new AirPlay wireless media streaming feature.
Game Center, improved Mail, finding and highlighting text on web pages, enhanced enterprise support, accessibility enhancements, and keyboard and dictionary enhancements are other features touted on Apple's website.
Apple CEO Steve Jobs demoed iOS 4.2 for iPad at Wednesday's media event.
On Topic: iPad
- Apple's iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3 now available for pickup at select US Apple Stores
- iPad Air 2 teardown reveals lower capacity battery, internal layout tweaks
- Unboxing Apple's new iPad Air 2, with Smart Case & Smart Cover
- AppleInsider 2.0 for iPhone and iPad now available as free downloads from Apple's App Store
- Review roundup: iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deemed best in class, but changes mostly iterative [u]