Friday, September 17, 2010, 05:10 am PT (08:10 am ET)
Apple's 27-inch LED Cinema Display now available for purchaseApple on Friday made its 27-inch LED Cinema Display, packing a 2,560-by-1,440 pixel resolution and 178-degree viewing angle, available for sale in its online store for $999.
First announced in late July, the 27-inch flat panel screen was set to ship in September. Now available for purchase, the Apple LED Cinema Display is set to ship for buyers in one to two weeks.
In addition to LED backlighting for instant-on brightness, the new 27-inch display features a universal MagSafe connector that charges a user's notebook. It also packs a Mini DisplayPort cable for connectivity, and three USB 2.0 ports.
Apple's latest LED panel includes an iSight camera, microphone, and 49-watt speaker system. Made of aluminum and glass, it is compatible with Apple's line of Mac desktop computers that have a Min DisplayPort, including the Mac Pro, Mac mini and iMac.
The new LED Cinema Display now also includes a new ambient light sensor which automatically adjusts the display brightness based on external lighting conditions and uses only as much energy as necessary to provide an optimum viewing experience.
It also takes advantage of in-plane switching (IPS) technology to allow the accurate display of colors across a wide 178-degree viewing angle. The 16:9 edge-to-edge glass display sits on an aluminum stand with an adjustable hinge.
AppleInsider was first to report on Apple's plans to introduce the 27-inch Cinema Display back in March. Earlier this week, Apple made adjustments to its online store that implied the new flat panel display was prepared to ship soon.
The previous-generation 24-inch and 30-inch Cinema Display models will be available only as supplies last, making the 27-inch model the only current-generation display offered by Apple.
On Topic: Current Hardware
- Users report install, crashing issues with latest MacBook Air EFI update
- Apple issues MacBook Air EFI update to address wake from sleep problems on mid-2011 models
- Deals: 7-10% off CTO Retina MacBook Pros, $859 13" MacBook Air; $101 off 32GB AT&T iPad Airs, $350 off iPhone 5 refurbs
- Killer Deal: Save up to $250 on Apple's latest Macs plus get a 3-Year AppleCare Protection Plan for free (now with iMacs, Mac Pros & Mac minis)
- Apple's surprising sales in emerging markets like China & Latin America keep Mac growth ahead of PC market