Sunday, September 26, 2010, 07:40 pm PT (10:40 pm ET)
Apple TV preorders now shipping in time for Sept. launch [u]Customers who preordered the new Apple TV have begun receiving notifications that the $99 set top box is now shipping, with an estimated arrival by the end of the month.
Shipment notifications began going out to some customers early Monday. The new Apple TV is shipping from Shenzhen, China, to customers in the U.S. via FedEx.
Estimated delivery for shipments is by Thursday, Sept. 30, meaning Apple will meet its September launch deadline.
On Sunday, readers informed AppleInsider that their orders for the new Apple TV were being listed as "Prepared for Shipment." The device was also still listed as "Ships: September."
A substantial redesign of the Apple TV was revealed on Sept. 1 at Apple's annual iPod event, but the device wasn't scheduled to ship until "later this month."
On Thursday, Apple began refunding customers who had paid for expedited shipping on their Apple TV.
"Our records indicate that when you placed your order you paid for upgraded shipping," Apple wrote in Thursday's emails. "Due to a delay, we may have not been able to meet our delivery commitment."
On Wednesday, Apple started authorizing the credit cards of those who placed preorders of the device.
On Topic: Apple TV
- 'FYI' and 'Feeln' channels get added to Apple TV lineup
- Apple Watch will likely require daily charging, Cook says
- Amazon announces $39 Fire TV Stick to compete with Google Chromecast
- HBO to begin offering standalone streaming subscriptions in 2015 - report
- Philips TVs bundled with Apple TV launch in India as part of alleged partnership [u]