Oct. 11 Windows Phone 7 launch event confirmedMicrosoft has sent out invitations to a Worldwide Launch Event for Windows Phone 7 on October 11 in New York City. The launch will feature an exclusive lineup of T-Mobile devices.
The event will take place at the NYC Microsoft Technology Center from 3:00-4:30 p.m. Eastern. Attendees will receive an "insider's look" at Windows Phone 7, as well as a hands on "exclusive showing of T-Mobile powered Windows Phone 7 devices."
An invitation was posted to Microsoft's Event site and noticed by Engadget.
Last week, The Wall Street Journal had reported that AT&T would be Microsoft's launch carrier. Invitations for a separate Windows Phone 7 launch event for AT&T have been sent out, according to Wired.
Microsoft realizes that the stakes for Windows Phone 7 are high. Documents filed with the SEC revealed that the "loss of market share in the company's mobile phone business" had affected Steve Ballmer's end of year performance bonus.
The Redmond, Wash., company plans to make a big push to counter gains in the mobile market made by the iPhone and Android. Analysts expect Microsoft to spend as much as $500 million to market the launch of Windows Phone 7.
On Topic: Microsoft
- Apple's iPhone commands record high 89% of smartphone profits while Android plummets to record low
- Microsoft Band adds MapMyFitness & HealthVault support, but still no Apple HealthKit
- Microsoft adds iCloud save support to its Office suite for iOS
- iPhone 6 launch led Apple to 47.7% share of US market, edging Android's 47.6%
- Microsoft Outlook debuts as free download for iPhone, iPad