Oct. 11 Windows Phone 7 launch event confirmedMicrosoft has sent out invitations to a Worldwide Launch Event for Windows Phone 7 on October 11 in New York City. The launch will feature an exclusive lineup of T-Mobile devices.
The event will take place at the NYC Microsoft Technology Center from 3:00-4:30 p.m. Eastern. Attendees will receive an "insider's look" at Windows Phone 7, as well as a hands on "exclusive showing of T-Mobile powered Windows Phone 7 devices."
An invitation was posted to Microsoft's Event site and noticed by Engadget.
Last week, The Wall Street Journal had reported that AT&T would be Microsoft's launch carrier. Invitations for a separate Windows Phone 7 launch event for AT&T have been sent out, according to Wired.
Microsoft realizes that the stakes for Windows Phone 7 are high. Documents filed with the SEC revealed that the "loss of market share in the company's mobile phone business" had affected Steve Ballmer's end of year performance bonus.
The Redmond, Wash., company plans to make a big push to counter gains in the mobile market made by the iPhone and Android. Analysts expect Microsoft to spend as much as $500 million to market the launch of Windows Phone 7.
On Topic: Microsoft
- Surging iPhone, plummeting feature phone sales push Apple past Microsoft in mobile market
- Sales of Apple's iOS devices now equal total Windows PC sales
- New Microsoft Send app brings chat-like threads to iPhone email conversations
- This week on AppleInsider: Thicker iPhones, new iOS and OS X betas, Office for Mac & more
- Microsoft releases all-new Office 2016 for Mac to Office 365 subscribers