Sunday, October 03, 2010, 08:45 pm PT (11:45 pm ET)
Oct. 11 Windows Phone 7 launch event confirmedMicrosoft has sent out invitations to a Worldwide Launch Event for Windows Phone 7 on October 11 in New York City. The launch will feature an exclusive lineup of T-Mobile devices.
The event will take place at the NYC Microsoft Technology Center from 3:00-4:30 p.m. Eastern. Attendees will receive an "insider's look" at Windows Phone 7, as well as a hands on "exclusive showing of T-Mobile powered Windows Phone 7 devices."
An invitation was posted to Microsoft's Event site and noticed by Engadget.
Last week, The Wall Street Journal had reported that AT&T would be Microsoft's launch carrier. Invitations for a separate Windows Phone 7 launch event for AT&T have been sent out, according to Wired.
Microsoft realizes that the stakes for Windows Phone 7 are high. Documents filed with the SEC revealed that the "loss of market share in the company's mobile phone business" had affected Steve Ballmer's end of year performance bonus.
The Redmond, Wash., company plans to make a big push to counter gains in the mobile market made by the iPhone and Android. Analysts expect Microsoft to spend as much as $500 million to market the launch of Windows Phone 7.
On Topic: Microsoft
- Microsoft rumored to launch smartwatch this holiday season, beating Apple Watch to market
- Editorial: A friendlier Apple Inc now invites media through its Infinite Loop front door
- Skype for Mac 7.0 launches with new mobile-inspired look, 64-bit support, improved chat & file sharing
- Microsoft looks to distance itself from Windows 8, jumps to Windows 10
- Steve Ballmer's loyalty to Microsoft will force LA Clippers to ditch Apple iPads